PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Two Quilts


 I missed wishing you all a Happy Monday, so Happy Tuesday instead.
This week I would like to share with you two Hawaiian inspired quilts that I just finished, using the fabric that was purchased while in Kauai in May.
 For my Grandson Ty who is 7 1/2 in mind I choose these happy and colorful turtles swimming in every direction they are red, blue and green..
The quilt pattern I used is called the Disappearing 9 Patch  that uses 10 different fabrics. 
I took the photo outside hoping to capture all the bright colors, but I think there was to much glare.
(I'm  not the best picture taker, but I try)
 I had my quilter top stitch with swirls reflecting waves.
 The Disappearing 9 Patch was really a joy to make, you can  play with the squares and make any pattern you want with them.


 For the back of the quilt I choose surf boards, Ty thought it was " so cool".


 The second quilt was a parchel kit, it came with the pattern for "The Yellow Brick Road" quilt and six colors of hibiscus fabric. Again this is a pattern you can play with using any direction of placement of the squares. I prefer the Disappearing 9 Patch  pattern because it gives more play and  has
a better outcome. That's just me though, I like the Disappearing 9 Patch better.
 This quilt will be put away for a future baby girl, I thought it would be fun to make a few quilts (just planning ahead) and I really wanted to use the fabric, I love the colors of all the hibiscus fabric.
 To brake up all the print I decided to sew white rick-a-rack into the binding. I really like it and I think it   brings a bit of sweetness for a baby girl.

 For the back I used white cotton and pieced a strip of all the colors used.
 I went to my stash of fabric and found the perfect red for the binding.
 I had my quilter top stitch in hibiscus's, I used the hibiscus also for the "Hawaiian Post Card Quilt". I really love this pattern and will probably be using it a lot :) for top stitching.



 Next quilt up on the sewing table I will be using the rest of all the Hawaiian fabric that I purchased in Kauai. I can't wait to get started.
(Busy Hands are Happy Hands) so keep creating..
What have you been working on?

[signature.gif]
Sharing with the following Linky Parties:

Mary-Boogieboard Cottage Masterpiece Monday
Susan-Between Naps on the Porch metamorphosis Monday

Kathryn-The Dedicated House Make it Pretty Monday

Alderberry Hill Make the Scene Monday

Linda-Costal Charm Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Kim-Savvy Southern Style WOW us Wednesday

Bunny Jean -Bunny Jean Decor and More Bunny Hob Wednesday

Honey-2805 A Potpourri Party every Friday

Courtney- French Country Cottage Feathered Nest Friday

Sherry-The Charm of Home Home Sweet Home Party Fridays



18 comments:

Becky said...

Both quilts are gorgeous....but of course, since I AM a girl, the hibiscus one rings the bell for me!! Can't wait to see the next one!

Gina said...

Both quilts are so beautiful! I love the bright & cheerful colors of each.

Vee said...

You do incredible work and the hibiscus flower topstitching is wonderful. I'm sure that your grandson loves his quilt.

Dan Hiestand said...

Beautiful quilts! I love that you are passing them on to future generations -- it will be an invaluable piece of your family history someday.

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Both quilts are just stunning! I love the bright colors of the Hawaiian quilt. I love to quilt also, but I'm not any where close to as good as you are.

Nice finding you as my next door neighbor at BNOTP!

CAS

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Your quilts are beautiful, I bet your grandchildren loved them....

I am one of your newest followers!

Karie said...

Both are absolute works of art! Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Karie

"Create Beauty" said...

G O R G E O U S!!!!!
What beautiful work you do!

~ Violet

Beverly @ My Sew Sweet Studio said...

Wow! You are amazing, Elizabeth. Your grandson will love the turtle quilt with surfboards on the back.
It is so bright and colorful. Your quilter must be fast too. Two quilts. Love that you made a quilt for a future granddaughter. I still don't have one made for all my grandchildren. Wish I would have started before they came along.
Both patterns are interesting and show off your Hawaiian fabrics very well.

Cindy said...

I love your quilts, Elizabeth, they are fabulous! I like that they're so colourful and gorgeous! The one for the future baby girl is my favourite.
Hugs, Cindy

Janet said...

Your quilts are so beautiful and certainly works of art! I've never attempted to make one and have great admiration for those who do!
Blessings,
Janet

Cottage and Broome said...

Wow, your quilts are amazing! I'd be hard press to pick a favorite but the Hawaiian one is really special, Laura

20 North Ora said...

Beautiful work! Lucky family.

Judy

Sarah said...

Beautiful quilts. I'm favoring the sweet baby girl quilt with its gorgeous floral fabrics. Love the addition of the rick-rack in the binding..

Miss Jean said...

Elizabeth: You are really cranking out the beautiful quilts. Well done!!!!

Honey at 2805 said...

Your quilts are all so pretty! Love the hibiscus and the matching fabric work across the back! Thinking ahead, huh?

Thank you for sharing your creativity at Potpourri Friday!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Wowee, missus! These are simply beautiful. Really breath-taking! I'm completely in awe! Your handiwork is just too neat for words!

Sarahx

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I love your quilts-I know just what store in Kauai you went to also-my favorite and a must when I'm there. Great job; love the turtles and our quilter did an excellent job! I have used the Yellow Brick Road pattern before in fall flannels and it looks so different; love how girly the second one is, especially with the rickrack-I never would have thought about doing that. Thanks for sharing. I got one of twelve stars done for my new quilt, guess I'll be doing that tonight as I watch football. Have a great evening.
Hugs, Noreen